Unraveling the sentimental value of childhood keepsakes

I am writing this while wearing my favorite 10-year-old Wrangler t-shirt (Don't worry I still manage to fit in it!). Though it is no longer in a condition to be worn outdoors. Brushing aside my husband's annoyance at a few holes that could be seen on its sides, it can only be worn inside the four walls of our home.

The color of the shirt is not so bright, except for a dash of red on the grey-colored fabric, what fascinates me more are its stitches and its fit. The purpose of writing this is not to talk about feeling comfy in my second skin. For the last 10 years, I have been looking for a similar skivvy, but minus any success.

I talked about it with my friends "I am looking for a hand-stitched skivvy, with side cuts, long sleeves, soft texture, and with chequered design." One of my friends goes like, "Who wears polo necks these days." Another friend pitches in, "The design is so old-fashioned now."
I have been so attached to it that departing with it is not on my list of things to do, till I find a similar shirt. Sometimes you are so attached to a few things in your life, especially from your childhood, that nobody could dare to touch those things. Those prized possessions could be your favorite doll, a shirt, or anything you find an emotional bond with.

Enduring embrace of cherished possessions!

My mind wanders back to my childhood, to a time when my most prized possession was a doll, a gift from my loving Goldy Massi on my second birthday. I remember the day I decided to feed my doll a bowl of 'dal' when mom left me to attend somebody at the door. Much to my mother's surprise and amusement, she found me and the doll with the 'dal' all around us on the floor. Unfortunately, it could not stand the vagaries of time and I miss it to date.

Such is the beauty of childhood and adolescence that many incidents and things get etched in your memory forever... 

Comments

  1. Gujra hua zamana aata nahin dobara......Savour the sweet memories n move ahead.Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbhi uncle... memories feeds imagination and lining our pockets with sweet memories promises that they will be there to unwrap and savour during bigger challenges in life as they teach you much more than any other teacher could... I do not get sad because it's over, I smile because it happened...

      Delete
  2. Love the dal incident. :)
    And I'm a fellow collector of all things old. I don't think it's even about the sweater- it almost feels like you're letting go of the memories they stand for.
    Happy a happy 2013 and hold on tightly to that skivvy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts

Hukus bukus

For the real taste of kahwa

Unveiling the secrets to crafting melt-in-your-mouth perfect chapatis